January 17, 2010

Tendulkar Pulls Out Of T20 Action

Posted in Cricket tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , at 11:24 pm by techtwist

Sachin Tendulkar recently pulled out of the T20 season in Middlesex colors scheduled during the English summer. He had earlier been in talks with the Middlsex Boss’ when they showed their interest to sign him along with Adam Gilchrist in their ranks. Tendulkar told the club that it would be an additional workload in an already heavy International schedule. He also explained them that he was keen to prolong his career in the big stage and hence he was not ready to risk the excess load.

Middlesex County Cricket Club Chief Executive Vinny Codrington said,”We are all naturally extremely disappointed that Sachin has reached the decision not to join us this year, as without doubt, his presence within the Middlesex ranks alongside Adam Gilchrist would have been a major coup for the club. When the news initially broke that we were in negotiations with Sachin, it quite rightly created major headlines in all the sports pages, and it’s a real shame we have been unable to reach a satisfactory outcome to our discussions with him. Sachin was very open and honest with us when advising us of his decision and he went to lengths to express how flattered he was that a club like Middlesex were so keen to have him on board.”

He also added, ” Whilst extremely keen to join the club, Sachin felt he wished to concentrate his efforts on prolonging his international career at the top of world cricket, and believed that the additional workload of playing Twenty20 cricket in the UK for Middlesex this year would place too much pressure on his already busy cricketing schedule. We would like to express our thanks to John Stephenson, MCC’s Head of Cricket, for all his help, and we wish Sachin continued success with India and our thanks go to him for giving the Club every consideration”.

Advertisements

January 16, 2010

Gilchrist and Hayden Clarify Speculation

Posted in IPL tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , at 3:01 pm by techtwist

Few days back, Adam Gilchrist’s Manager Stephen Atkinson had quoted, “Adam is aware of the situation and he is always very mindful of the security concerns in India. Adam was looking to play in this year’s tournament but it is always a worry when statements like that (made by Shiv Sena) are being made. Ultimately, he will be guided by the views of Cricket Australia and security experts.” This was misinterpreted by the press and the news that Gilchrist wouldn’t be a part of IPL 3 started making rounds. In a recent interview, Gilchrist clarified this and quoted, “I love playing in India. My manager’s quote has been misinterpreted and I am quite keen to play in India”.

He was further told PTI that, “I cannot speak for other players but I am sure to tour India in March for the IPL. I am confident of Mr. Modi and the IPL organisers. I have some fine memories of India and would like to extend that”. Leter on even Matthew Hayden confirmed his participation and stated that, “The process is that the security agencies will investigate and let Cricket Australia know who will let the players know, but the final decision is in the hands of the players. You will definitely see me in India for IPL 3.I have been welcomed into the bosom of India as a brother. I feel very humbled and privileged to be able to play here. I am looking forward to IPL 3 and am confident it will be a huge success.”

So, as of now, none of the Australian players have pulled out of the auction and hopefully we will get to see them in action this year. I personally feel that the sport shouldn’t be mixed up with all the political issues. What happened in Australia to the Indian students is certainly a bad example and it is unjust, but then I don’t think that not allowing Australian players to take part in India is the solution. This might hamper the preparations for the World Cup next year.